We, Belarusian nationals abroad:
- Do not recognize the validity of the elections held in Belarus on August 9, 2020. Nor do we recognize Aleksandr Lukashenko as the legitimate president of the Republic of Belarus. Our position is based on independent exit polls and monitoring in Belarus, as well as the OSCE report that the election was neither “transparent, free or fair,” and the official non-recognition of the election results by the governments of the European Union countries, the United States, Canada, and others.
- Condemn the large-scale repression against peaceful civilians in order to retain power illegally. We support the demands of Belarus’s citizens: the release of political prisoners and illegally detained; an end to the violence, and punishment of those responsible for it; and, holding new, free, elections.
- Consider that the Advisory Council of Belarusians Abroad, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belarus and its embassies no longer have the legitimate right to represent the interests of Belarus and Belarusian people living abroad.
In order to protect Belarusian citizens’ rights and interests and represent a democratic Belarus abroad under the leadership of the real winner in the presidential election – Ms Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, the Coordination Council, and the People’s Anti-Crisis Administration, we announce the creation of the alternative People’s Embassies of Belarus.
The main tasks of the People’s Embassies are:
- To provide accurate and timely information about the situation in Belarus.
- To mobilize support for the democratic transformation of Belarus by establishing and maintaining contacts with government agencies, media, public associations, trade unions, business, educational and cultural circles, etc.
- To protect the rights and interests of Belarusians abroad, and assist those forced to leave their homeland.
The creation of the People’s Embassies became part of the agenda of the World Congress of Belarusians on October 31 — November 1, 2020 and is enshrined in its Resolution (https://belaruscongress.org/resolution).